1 Elizabeth Way
Tel: 01 223 858098
Tel: +34 928 834135
Send an Email
are the sole UK agents to Dorfbrunnen Garage; Switzerland - Designated
OPEL specialist repairer of
Vectra/Cavalier/Calibra 4x4 Transfer Boxes and Power
to consider when thinking about
Purchasing a "Reconditioned" Transfer Box.
Cav16 is proud to be associated
with the highest Quality GM/OPEL
transfer box reconditioning service, as provided by Dorfbrunnen
Garage of Switzerland.
"Reconditioned" means all things to all people,
- There are operations in the UK that will claim to use brand
new parts, what you are unlikely to see is that fact written or
- There are operations in the UK that claim to use 'Genuine Vauxhall
Parts', and they will tell you so. What they do not say is 'Brand
new Genuine Vauxhall Parts', and if they do, you will not see
that displayed or in writing anywhere.
- Vauxhall have never made new parts available for the transfer
box, it is a disposable item that costs £2700 to purchase
off the shelf, in Germany, via your local main dealer.
- If you were to purchase a brand new transfer box from GM,
the chances are that it will have been factory assembled by
Dorfbrunnen in Switzerland, using the original manufacture's
- Ask yourself why these other operations purchase secondhand
transfer boxes, the simple answer is that the parts inside can
be used to make up a box to sell on.
- The transfer box contains a crown wheel and pinion set. If the
float and pre-load is not set correctly the box will either be
too sloppy or too tight. Either way it would fail the Dorfbrunnen
final load tests. Its like running around with a potentially faulty
- No-one in the UK has access to brand new crown wheel and
pinion sets, what ever they say, and again not written.
- The most critical element of the transfer box is the Viscous
Coupling, despite any claims made, no-one in the UK has the ability
to set these up to the manufacturers Spec., to deliver the correct
drive to the rear wheels. An incorrectly set VC will either provide
too little drive to the rear wheels of too much.
- Think very carefully before entertaining a 'fixed' transfer
box. GM/OPEL designed it to revert to 2WD when the brakes are
applied at speeds over 16 mph for safety reasons. Cav16 do not
supply, or subscribe to this type of transfer box.
Tel: 01 223 858098
Tel: +34 928 83 41 35
Translations - No responsibility is taken for any loss of meaning
in translating this site from English to any other language, as provided
by the Alta-Vista BabelFish service.